Amir is co-founder of the Pearl Initiative, and the Ocean Sanctuary Alliance. He is a founding Commissioner of the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development. Amir co-founded the Blockchain Commission for Sustainable Development and serves as Executive Vice Chair.
Pioneering Partnerships and Global Outreach: Amir Dossal works globally across the economic and social spectrum. He is an accomplished diplomat, with a deep understanding of international affairs as well as extensive experience in global development and humanitarian issues, including managing complex technical assistance projects in emerging markets. By nature, a social entrepreneur and innovator, his work is an endeavor to bond the power of the private sector, governments, and civil society; in order to better serve the greater good. These include initiatives on women’s empowerment, engaging media in sustainable development, and innovative use of technology for positive social change. Amir is a champion of the HeForShe campaign and Planet 50-50 by 2030. He is also a champion for the UN’s Safe Ground Campaign.
United Nations Service: Amir Dossal is a 25-year veteran of the United Nations and served as Executive Director of the UN Office for Partnerships until September 2010, which he established in 1998 to manage the $1 billion gift by media mogul Ted Turner. During his tenure at the UN, Amir set-up and managed several new initiatives:
- Department of Peacekeeping Operations: field finance and management
- Management Policy Office: oversee reform within the United Nations
- UN Fund for International Partnerships: interface with the UN Foundation
- UN Democracy Fund: strengthen institutions and governance in new or restored democracies
- UN Office for Partnerships: engage public and private sectors to support the UN’s mission
- Peacebuilding Support Office: help bridge development gaps in post-conflict countries.
- Business Advisory Council for the Greater Tumen Region: regional cooperation among nations
Awards and Recognition
- 2010 Humanitarian Award from the UN Association of New York, for his accomplishments in Partnerships to End Poverty and World Hunger
- 2010 Ambassador for Peace and Sport, Monaco
- 2015 Amir and his son, Zecki received Humanitarian Innovation Award for intergenerational partnerships
- 2016 Outstanding Achievement Award, bestowed by the ICAEW for his work in uniting public and private organizations to address the world’s economic and social challenges
- 2017 Ellis Island International Medal of Honor for contributions to the global community.
Personal: Amir is a UK Chartered Accountant (FCA) and has lived and worked in five continents. He is on the board of several non-profits and regularly undertakes speaking engagements and frequently serves as moderator for high-level panels, engaging Heads of State and Ministers. Amir is married to Tas, Senior Advisor and Co-Founder of the Global Partnerships Forum. They have one son, Zecki, who is Senior Director, Solutions Development at Henry Schein. He is a graduate of Columbia College and Columbia Business School.